Ribbit.

Ribbit.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

You're the Worst


I started watching this new show. It's not really new, it's just new to me, in my I-can't-afford-cable-lifestyle. I found it on Netflix. What I like about it is...
1.) the main character is a Brit
2.) it's a typical sitcom except for that the dialogue is LIT. And you'd almost miss it because you're so freaking enamored with the British guy's accent (Wait -- is that just me?). So you nearly miss it when he's talking with his roommate about the possibility of giving the girlfriend a key and he says:

Brit guy: A cozy world full of home-cooked meals and graceful weight fluctuation? 

Roommate: I'd live in that world. 

Brit guy: I honestly cannot sit there and pretend not to be horrified by things as unthought-out and unspecial as "Can I have a key," ruled by nothing more interesting than animal instinct to the point that I might as well be sleeping with a migratory bird or a leatherback sea turtle. 

Roommate: I'm gonna eat your frittata. 

Brit guy: "Can I have a key?" I'll tell you what... How can you see this sh1t happening and just smile and be okay with it? How do you look at the person you're with and not just know that there's another person inside who's boring and lame and will eventually ask for emotional support and to shop together for decorative sconces at Williams-Sonoma? How can you just ignore that sh1t? 

Roommate: I don't know. Because you like them, I guess.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=418&t=20328&sid=8dcf59c1d5fb8d14216aa118b7850515


I love that roommate :-) As an Iraqi combat veteran, he's such a damaged romantic. Plus he looks shockingly like a guy I used to date, Derek. And Derek was a pretty standup guy, so I automatically love Edgar and all his pontifications.

But he's got a point, you know? The "graceful weight fluctuations" and "shopping for Williams-Sonoma sconces" may be a boring-as-hell part of relationships, but they're real. And you put up with them because "you like them, I guess." I suppose the hard part is finding someone you actually like and don't want to stab with a sconce. Even harder is finding someone who likes you back. I tend to attract the ones that flame out quickly.

I've had rather bad luck relationally speaking. Part of that is self-inflicted, naturally. Part is a product of growing up in an uber-conservative environment that -- I kid you not -- advocated allowing your parents to pick your future mate. And part is just due to the fickleness of human nature: by that I mean, things go from hot to cold abruptly, and from cold to dormant just as fast. Every time it happens it's hard, but hopefully with time and experience, it's easier to smile and move on more quickly. I think I put up with a lot less shit as I age :-) 

It's another year! I hope I can become a more positive person. And perhaps find someone it's actually not cringe-worthy to shop for sconces with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment